Ah, computers. Overpriced and overhyped until the mid-90s. And here we are, with our Gigahertz, and our Firewire, and our Clock Speed, and our Floating Point Operations, and Solid State Drives, and World Wide Web.
And now, my latest foray in the wide, wonderful world of computery (n. anything of or relating to computers). I am going to build my own computer.
I know, right? Sort of behind the curve. Those kids 'been building those compies since they were 5. And all they had was a toaster, some tinfoil, and a stick. Sometimes they didn't even have a stick, and had to use a fork. But this is modern times, and now you can pick a kit off the internetz and build using those parts. But no. Not me. For further money savings, I am totally customizing this thing. Choosing between a rather outdated, but super budget friendly Pentium D based semi-gaming computer and a blazing ultra high speed power shower ultimate awesome Future PC with Intel's Core i7 920 (2.66 GHz, 4 cores, Hyperthreading, need I say more) with an unfortunately high price. My current total comes out to like, $665. That's like... a refrigerator.
Store food, or render food?
And on the subject of these marvelous pieces of machinery, I remember something. I was at Borders once, looking for a book with which to teach myself Objective C, when a man walked in and asked for help. He came to the computer section, and I overheard the following conversation:
Man: Hi. Do you have any computer help books? I just bought a new HP computer and I don't know how to use it.
Woman: Yes, we have some right in this section. Is it your first computer?
Man: Yes. My son bought it for me. Kids these days know all about technology.
Woman: Yes, that's right. So, is it a Mac or a PC?
Man: I don't know.
Me: (Facepalm in back)
Woman: Well, you'll need to find out if it's a Mac or a PC before I can help you anymore.
Man: Would I have to start the computer to find that out?
-------------
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment